21 April 2013

Proposed LAN cable layout *final*

Think many of the newly move in house owners always face problems with their network:

1) Weak wifi signal @ MBR.
2) Packet loss over WIFI
3) Intermittent lag/disconnection when playing FPS/MMORPG.
4) Internet speed not able to reach the highest peak due to wireless.

As i hate using wireless, prefer direct connection all the time and i play games alot. So spending quite a sum to do up my LAN network is worth it.



I have uploaded my actual layout. Which is already done up. Thanks to OpenNET. Move in condition is fibre ready. so there will not be ugly trunking from your main door all the way to your living area with a OpenNET box.

As you can see, my termination point will be in the living room. all those cables will be hiding inside my TV console. I won't be doing any patch panel as its bulky and i don't even know where i'm going to place it, so termination part will probably use a normal RJ45 jack or i can ask my brother whether i can kop some Panduit jacks from his office. =X


Good thing about Panduit RJ45 jack is that, the clip will not break off or damaged if you accidentally pull the clip (infact its damn hard to lift the clip). Whereas as shown below.


Just by lifting the clip will damage the jack permanently, as a result, when you plug in to a port, it will not have a *click* sound that telling you that its secured in the port. infact you can actually pull out the cable from the port without pressing the clip to unsecure it.

BUT, there a price to pay, its damn hard to crimp Panduit jack (took me 10-15minutes for one end), and you need their tools in order to crimp the jack. if not, its totally impossible to use those typical crimper tools for cat5e/cat6 that you found in sim lim tower. AND ITS NOT CHEAP! *sigh*. 

many of you may think that i can buy those typical cover to secure the clip like this below. 


Look at this. bloody ugly!!

I have yet to decide whether to do panduit or those typical rj45 jack.. as at the end of the day, once your plug to your switch, you wouldn't want to take it out anymore + its hidden inside your TV console. Will KIV on this.

Ok. Lets move on to my layout again. As you can see, my electrician will be drilling a hole across to BR3. and there will be 2 x LAN port (1) there. As sometimes i'm doing my own freelance business helping people on their IT problems for their desktop/laptop. I do need an additional LAN port.

Or even if i ever consider not doing my freelance, i might build a small server running VMware ESXi to play around with. :)

Then towards to the corner which is 1 x LAN port (2). that will be for my wife... then i will be making use of the aircon trunking, all the way from the corner and shoot towards to my girl room which is at BR2 (3).

Then it will be MBR, as you see, i'm running one big round to reach LAN port (4) & (5).

What i'm going to do on (4) is that, i will probably put a media player/mini-itx PC and link to my TV on my bedroom. And in future, if my non-smart TV spoil, i will buy a smart TV and i will connect (5) to it. =D

The distance to from the TV to my bedside cabinet which located at (4) will be 15metres. Thanks to Infinity @ SLS 4th floor for recommending me to USB Cable and accessories to get quality HDMI cables ($240 for 2 HDMI 1.4 15m cables)

And oh ya, never patronise ZION located @ 4th floor. serve by a china lady with a fucked thup attitude, slow respond and asking me to pay for the HDMI cable in order to test. and moreover NON-REFUNDABLE if the HDMI got problem, I have to think how to exchange $240 worth of items in the shop!

By the way, the OpenNET point that they lay, its a Cat6 3M UTP cable. and for my LAN cable brand, i'm using Draka Cat6.. Not too lousy and not too great. I understand that the best is AMP followed by 3M then Draka.

Bought a whole big box. 305metres and i think i can't finished, so i offered it up to Buangkok Vale residents if they ever need to lay cables, can feel free to contact me and i will sell them near to my cost. :)











No comments:

Post a Comment